This message is from: vivian creigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Steve,

Grooms can and do get bounced off the carriage because the driver's going too
fast, because they're not holding on, because they hit something hard and
probably other reasons that I can't think of now.

 Putting the groom down without penalty except time would probably lead to
drivers continuing to drive forward in the hazard while their hapless groom
continued to run alongside and try and remedy the problem on the fly leading I
would expect to a nastier situation.

 Plus grooms might get down to lead a horse past or through something
(ie.water)which would give them a clear and ,I think unfair advantage over
someone who needed to put a groom down for repairs if there was no penalty
except time taken.

 Also  you have to remember who was driving when Milton went out on the pole.
Bill Long drives for his supper and one does not get or keep sponsors by being
overly cautious and losing. Trace problems are more common than you'd think
with fours and sometimes even pairs.
 I think had you and Amy never heard of Milton's pole walking expertise and you
were standing at a hazard where he performed this manuever
 you would be more impressed than ticked off.

I'm really in total agreement with Deryn Stewarts post on CD-L list referring
to Denny Emerson's article in The Chronicle of the Horse. The current climate
of litagation as well as other factors has made us overly
sensitive to safety issues. We are looking for gaurentees on our own and our
families longevity. And in life there are no gaurentees. No one celebrates
injury and foolhardiness and stupidity should not be championed in any sport
but I think it's possible to become crippled (in the figurative sense) by a
constant quest for total safety.

I'll jump off the soap box now. Two more days and we're off to Europe.
Yipee!!!!
Vivian