This message is from: "Margaret Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

----- Original Message -----
From: Vivian Creigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 1:55 PM
Subject: Memories

  The best thing about the keurings was the genuine good
> will between everyone there. We had two very long days here in VT and
> everyone pulled together to insure that the climate remained relaxed and
> supportive for everyone who brought horses.

We had the same situation here in CA although one day was a very long day.
I don't know how the judges did it as they had driven to Vegas the day
before, and arrived back around midnight.  Everyone was completely positive
and came to learn.

> Arena driving is hugely popular in Europe. I was on a US committe that
drew
> up rules to be adopted by the ADS so pretty soon I hope that there will be
> indoor trials all around the country so all you Combined driving fans out
> there (Steve & Amy and others) will not have to wait all winter to go out
> and play.

There is an arena driving trial planned for March 31st in Ramona, CA.  Our
local driving club Heels & Wheels is sponsoring it.  They are offering
Novice (training/preliminary) and Advanced divisions.  Entries are open now
and the entry fee is very reasonable.  Hardy Zanke is the judge and he
should provide some very good feedback to the competitors.  Barry is dying
to compete, but his primary driving horse has a month old foal at side, and
I doubt we can get Valbjorn fit in time.  I know he would love it if I was
willing to hold the filly while her mother competes.  The contacts are Pam
Grant, [EMAIL PROTECTED] or Walt Ashford, [EMAIL PROTECTED]   We will
definitely go and watch, it would be nice to meet other Fjord people and/or
see them compete.  I like the idea of arena driving trials as large
facilities are not always available.

Barry and I went to Equine Affair at Fairplex in Pomona, CA yesterday.  It
was a 3 day event featuring some very good clinicians--favorites were Jane
Savoie, Steffan Peters, and Richard Shrake.  John Lyons was a bit of a
disappointment though.  He talked safety, yet allowed and encouraged his
colt to climb the pipe round pen, and also let the colt cut across the pen
bucking and kicking at him--without reprimand.  John also let the colt
gallop up to him and constantly stick his face in John's without comment to
the audience--he just kept pushing the colt away.  It seemed like a recipe
for a broken nose.  About 20% of the audience left the seminar early.  Not a
soul stirred from their seats for the othe clinicians.  I know he has some
good info, but this was not his best moment.

We only went one day, and missed a lot, but the other clinicians I mentioned
were very clear and explicit in communicating with the audience.
Considering the fact that it was very cold, rainy, wet, and muddy, everyone
had a good attitude.  Poor Jane Savoie thought she was coming to sunny
southern CA, but it wasn't.  It is a shame when a major event gets rained on
here as it is so infrequent.  Several arenas were not covered.  We only live
50 miles SE and it had barely sprinkled at home.

We had prearranged to meet fellow Fjord folks Dudley and Karen Haines, and
Mary Kint--and actually found each other.  We had fun browsing the trade
show and shops together, and then split up for the clinics.  Mary, Barry,
and I  all wanted to see the dressage and english stuff.  There were lots of
nice things for sale at good prices.  A new Stubben dressage saddle went
home with us.  It was a steal beyond belief.  Barry stood pondering the
decision, Mary whispered in his ear that she had paid almost the same money
for a Kieffer over 15 years ago, and that did it.  We had been talking
amongst ourselves about what a bargain the $10 admission charge was for a
horsey day, however the price got steeper when we bought the saddle.  It is
worth it though, I rode it today, it fits, and is just beautiful.

Equine Affair had called me about a month ago about bringing Fjords, but did
not call me back when I left a message saying I was willing to bring a horse
for display or demo, but couldn't pay $900 for the privilege.  There was
absolutely no Fjord representation.  I wish the NFHR would loosen the purse
strings and pay for an NFHR booth at events such as this in  major metro
areas.  The Friesians had a display that featured several horses, and I saw
what I considered questionable results of what they called "Friesian
Derivitive" breeding--quite a fancy term for cross breeding!  There was an
Appaloosa/Friesian cross that looked like a poorly put together Friesian
with leopard spots.  I love Appaloosas dearly, but this creature did not get
the best of both breeds.  How anyone could question the NFHR no cross
breeding rule is beyond me.

Margaret Strachan
Nuevo, CA
Where it is cold, and supposed to rain everywhere tomorrow--not just Pomona.