This message is from: "Ursula Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Dear List from Brian Jensen;
                   Recent comments about  farm Evaluations got me thinking
about the parameters of Evaluators in the NFHR and those being instituted by
FHI for member countries. As a NFHR Evaluator Trainee and a carded
Driving/Draft Judge by CEF-1995 in Canada, there has always been a strong
emphasis placed on Professional Ethics and conduct. These parameters were
presented as guidelines for Evaluators for their protection, the show
sponsors protection, and the breeders'assurance that all was correct and
would represent a balanced report of the horse presented.
                 The first standard presented was that at least two
Evaluators be present and score independently of each other. Their scores
are averaged for a final score.(an aside) My preference here is for at least
three Evaluators scoring independently, preferably with one European
Evaluator on the team.
                 If an Evaluator works alone (no matter how good) there can
be bias or a simple mistake of oversight. Bias is eliminated with more than
one person Evaluating.
                 If more than one Evaluator is working, the perception of
bias is eliminated thus protecting the Evaluator. In CEF Rules a
Judge/Evaluator should not participate in a Division where themselves or a
family member have ownership, or past ownership of the horses presented. As
well a Judge/Evaluator who owns an equine establishment, boards,trains, or
gives instruction of said establishment is not acceptable if horses come
from that establishment in the last year..
                An Evaluator/Judge may not discuss the purchase or sale or
lease of any horse during the Division he/she is officiating.
                Conduct at  an Evaluation also has guidelines and Ethics
which if not met cloud the professionalism of the Evaluator and question
their ability to be objective. The following are questions to be asked by a
Show Sponsor and the Evaluators.
              !- Is it wise for an Evaluator to Judge their own sold horses
or horses they have been part of selling?
              2-Is it wise for an Evaluator to Judge offspring of their sold
horses or horses they have been part of selling?
               3-Is it wise for a participant to have had a financial
transaction with an Evaluator previous to the show?
               4- Is it wise for an Evaluator to stay at the home of a
person who will be presenting horses for an Evaluation?
               5-Is it wise for an Evaluator to attend social functions with
exhibitors during the Evaluation?
                The questions I pose come from my training with CEF and the
NFHR Training Program for Evaluators. I believe they all have a place in our
future Evaluations and may even negate previous Evaluations in America where
these standards have not been met. If you checklist the above comments
against past American Evaluations ; which ones meet the criteria ;
and which ones do not?
 Brian Jensen
Trinity Fjords
Box 1032 Lumby BC Canada V0E-2G0