This message is from: Mariposa Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Boy has the list been busy lately!

I have been reading most all the posts and am putting my 2 cents in regarding
some of the topics all in one post.

1. Membership database:  Great idea, could it include job description too?  I'd
like to know who's doing what when not on a horse.

2. Politics and religion:  I can't even talk about this stuff with my family!
Let's leave it off the list. (Maybe there can be a check box on the database for
Democrat / Republican / Independent / Green Party, etc. and Faith ...just
kidding)

3. Stallion registration in regards to teeth and testicles:  I think it would be
a good idea except that it can't be done at registration time accurately.
Testicles aren't necessarily "dropped" by the time the horse is registered and
the bite would change too.  I am also a dog breeder and we don't breed until we
x-ray hips at two years old for hip displasia (not any earlier 'cause it
wouldn't be accurate).  It isn't required but I wouldn't breed one of my dogs to
any other one who hadn't done the x-rays.  Couldn't it be the same with
stallions (and mares in re: to teeth).  I think teeth and testicles are just
part of the overall conformation that one should look at.  Mike did have a good
point about stallions in the U.S. only breeding 1.5 mares a season on the
average (did I understand this right Mike?).  If this is the case I think we
need to think about the mares impact on the breed more than we do.  I tend to
look at the breeding PAIR more than just finding the best stallion out there and
breeding him to my mares.  We chose two different stallions this year because we
bred two conformationally different mares. (I didn't ask about the sperm count
or when the testicles dropped either, oops.)

4. Cow's feelings: Im sure they have them but they just don't mooooove me.
Unless they are on the grill.

5. Dutch Keuring Results Included in The NFHR Record Book:  I think that for the
NFHR evaluations to really take off and be accepted in the U.S. as well as
abroad we need to keep the record book NFHR evals only.  Although I would like
to see the the non-NFHR evaluations printed up too.  Maybe they (The Dutch and
Norwegians) could print something up for the horses exported to America that
were European evaluated.  (In english)

6. Had a great workout/ride today with Katya (I know this wasn't discussed on
the list but oh well!)

Mark McGinley
northern Wisconsin
http:\\www.mariposafarm.com