This message is from: "Janne Myrdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Just wanted to throw a couple of comments into a great discussion.
Firstly, thanks to Carol for bringing up the subject, a subject that
certainly warrants attention.  From growing up around horses in Norway, tho
no expert on fjords, you just know the image of a good fjord horse.  It is a
strong, working animal, and a survivor so to speak, an ALL AROUND horse,
from farming (yes still some do) to riding centers etc.   I must say I have
seen fjords in the US that do not come under the above description, and that
is sad, but such happens in all breeds of animals sadly.

I think a great example of a strong fjord horse is my Fair Acres Heidi, you
can look up her pedigree, of whom my vet, cannot say enough for stamina and
sensibility.  I doubt if any other breed would have survived what she went
thru for 11 days last spring after  loosing her foal.  Amazing.  What I tell
people who come to visit our farm to see the horses is the following, these
horses have perfected their breed for a few thousand years, and that thru
surviving the conditions Carol mentioned of in their homeland.  I do not
pamper my fjords at all, yet they have better care thatn most horses I see
around me in these harsh ND winters, and are healthier that any.  And if you
read any Norwgian history at all, us norskies were not kind hearted so to
speak with animals that would not perform.   Well, the times have changed,
but we should do anything we can, optionally of course, to improve breeding
and the genetic pool.

I am far from an expert, as Fjords are pure hobby for us, we breed our mares
maybe once every 3 years, as we enjoy the process and especially looking for
a good combination for our mares.

On the other side of this whole discussion by the way, I believe we may be
missing something;  just because a stallion performs well and wins ribbons,
DOES NOT MEAN he throws good offspring.  I have seen otherwise with a
friends horses.( OK, now I'll be in trouble as people will try to figure out
who etc., UFFDA.)   Maybe our "digest vet" Steve can comment on this whole
genetic thing???

Signing off on a beautiful day in ND, 38 above!!!!!

Janne