This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Dean / Mel Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Dean / Mel Thomas"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I'm sorry to report Anti-Chew doesn't work well with
> everyone.  Several
> years ago, our two origional fjords and one appy
> were living in a
> pasture with a shelter.  They kept eating the wood
> of the shelter walls.
>  We tried everything recommended from the vets, to
> the feed stores to
> 'old cowboys' to stop them from chewing up the
> walls.  The day I brough
> home some Anti-Chew and started spraying the walls,
> with the three guys
> watching over my shoulder, and my mare then started
> licking the
> Anti-Chew from the wall

Ah, yes, BUT there are TWO products on the market
called "Anti Chew" - the one 'usually' found in feed
stores - which we also tried several years ago, and
the horses loved the taste of it(!) - AND the Anti
Chew put out by Bio Groom.  It needs to be Bio Groom
"Anti Chew" to work.  Never smelled/tasted more bitter
stuff!!  I even sprayed it on Sindar's favorite
'chewing root' and he wouldn't touch it.  If it
doesn't say "Bio Groom" on the label, it isn't the
'bitterest stuff on earth'.

Another 'simple' thing which sometimes works - best
used indoors, so it doesn't just wash off - is plain
ol' Ivory bar soap rubbed on nice and thick.  Did you
ever have your mouth washed out with soap as a kid?
Did you like it? Probably not - and neither does a
horse!  They'll probably taste it - and may even
'foam' a bit - but most don't like it.  And it's
cheaper than these other things - if it works for you.
 You DO need to reapply it regularly, though, as it
rubs off on horses' coats, people's clothes, etc.,
etc. and then ceases to work.  Learned this from our
old Tennessee horseshoer and used it for years -
especially with youngsters to keep them from
'learning' to chew things.  If it didn't taste good
they forgot about the idea.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman