This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 10:14 AM 1/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mike, now I feel terrible about my fish.  I had heard they keep the tank
clean so bought two.  Went fine during the fall even though I thought I
smelled fish!  I also wondered how I would clean the tank and catch them.
The horses just took a good look first time and drank,  Then came winter and
one morning when the tank was about half full and frozen over the top they
froze up also.  Or so I thought.  They seemed lifeless and had no movement.
So I buried them!!  Now I wonder?

They probably were dead if the tank was frozen over for long anyway. They do need oxygen to live and with only a little bit of water that is frozen over they don't get any. Our pond is well over 3 feet deep so even when frozen they have plenty of room and air left. They do swim around (very slowly) under the ice though. We can see them when the ice is clear and there isn't any snow on it especially when the underwater lights are on after dark.

Mike