<<   I've subscribed to this List for three years, and don't
 >  remember ever having so many deaths reported in so short a
 >  time........and so many possible colics.
 >   >>
 >   My vet says that winter colics are much more common than summer colics.
He
 >blames the low intake of water with unheated tanks with impactions.
 >further encourage intake.   Lisa Pedersen
 I asked a seasoned cowboy here in Montana about colic, what he thought was
 the cause-- was it cold water? He said no way, said horses winter ranged
 for years often eating snow for water and that he thought it was INACTION
 that was the primary cause.

  Oh good, I can answer Jean's and Ruthies posts together. I wrote back this
original poster about the  " number of deaths and possible colics. "  I did
NOT try and diagnose what caused the sudden deaths of specific Fjords. And,
this is an important topic, with winter fully on board in most of the
country, just trying to share information from my experienced vet here in
Utah. He has practiced equine vetting for over 25 years here. Also, I have
seen many colics rapidly put a horse into irreversable severe pain and very
different symptoms for different horses.

  Ruthie, I didnt say that COLD water caused colic. I said that low INTAKE,
caused by offering cold water did, according to this vets opinion. The BLM
reports a huge number of winter casualities among the free range
horses.....much higher than we would ever allow with our well cared for
herds. Doing it " natural " does not always prove to be the best way for
these wild ones.  Maybe eating snow has something to do with it !   Lots of
cowboys here also do not seem to offer heated water tanks. Or shelters, clean
unmoldy hay, or worming, or trims. I will defere to my vets opinion of their
care ( lots of them become his best customers ) and stick with his
suggestions. My driving horses have remained active as the cooler weather has
set in here...but I see a huge decrease in their water consumsion since the
hot summer. Anything I can do to help increase intake will hopefully make a
differance.

   Lisa Pedersen *  another nice day here....around 59 as a high, supposed to
cool off with a clear night.