This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"...Karen really enjoyed your trip and the descriptions of primitive back country Baja...You have a tough system girl for your packing experiences and you do not dwell on the insects.

Glad you liked the 'trip' Jean! As far as insects went, we had been briefed on scorpions and tarantulas. Here in the states, I have been bitten twice at night while sleeping, each time between thumb and forefinger. No big deal - just quite a nightfright! saw no scorpions, but I did see 2 tarantulas, at the base of some palm trees down in an arroyo. They were doing the tarantula walk, I think they are really cool, and go out of my way to check them out. No, no real bug problems. At one abandoned ranch we stayed at, there were alot of rather P.O.'d stink bugs raising their butts to us as if to say...you-know-what. Didn't see any cockroaches, but I did get a couple of flea bites. I think we were in too arid an area, the cape of baja is more tropical, no?

"...I rode twice a day on tiny horses with a similar saddle that was
surprisingly comfortable."

Yes, the seat of this type of traditional saddle suited me, (but not Dave, who switched with me on the second day for a western type saddle, claiming there was just no seat there) but I only encountered a problem in that the cojinillos (saddlebags) were placed too far back towards the rider, and my left leg especially became fatigued. One of the guides rode in the same saddle, and also confirmed this to me, so I know I was not just being a prissy gringa.

nite,
  Karen