This message is from: "Anneli Sundkvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Both male and femal reindeers have antler - yes. But I do belive that both
males and females drop their antlers in the winter.

In Sweden - and I belive Norway and Finland too - the wild reindeer have been
gone for some time and we now have only domestic reindeer that are owned and
herded by the Saami people. This tradition is not very old, I belive it's 17th
or 18th century. Before that the Saamis were hunters and gatherers that
followed the herds of wild reindeer. I don't know why their way of living was
changed, probably the fact that their land was taken by settlers that had
bought the land from the government that didn't care about the fact that this
land belonged to the Saamis.

Regards

Anneli

Anneli Sundkvist
Department of Archaeology & Ancient History
Uppsala University
St. Eriks Torg 5
S-753 10 Uppsala
Sweden