This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Patryjak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Patryjak"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

.We keep
> our horses barefoot from
> now til spring...has anyone tried this (as described
> in articles) long term?

Betsy,

Don't know how it's described in 'articles', but I can
tell you that we have had our mare, Line, since 1986
and she has NEVER had a shoe on.  We have used her for
everything from riding to skidding logs in the time
we've had her.  She has what our farrier calls 'the
perfect foot' - heavy sole, thick walls, big enough
foot for the size horse.  He has always used the
'square toed' trim - what some call a 'wildhorse trim'
on her.  He says that putting shoes on her would only
be necessary if we planned to use her in 'special'
conditions - such as borium shoes for ice or thick
rubber shoes for long-term use on pavement.  All
except one of our other Fjords have worn shoes at some
time in their lives here - but all have been barefoot
in the winter(read MUD) months.  The mud gets pretty
deep here in the winter, and it's easy for a shoe to
come loose through the 'suction effect' of deep mud -
also, deep mud tends to make it easier for a horse to
step on a front shoe with a rear toe and pull the shoe
off, or give himself a nasty gash on the back of his
front leg.  Fjords are less prone to the gashes than
other breeds, simply because they have more 'feathers'
in the winter, but it can still happen to them.

And the one horse that also never needed shoes - you
guessed it, Line's daughter.  Same large, round, heavy
soled, thick walled feet.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman