This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well the routine shots,sheaths and floating ended up differently than I had
hoped.  Everybody got tranquilized and when my big horse was "under" the vet
checked an area I had just discovered on the inside hind where it joins the
body.  He had had a swollen pastern for a week but I thought he had just
torqued his hoof playing.  Just to be on the safe side I looked higher up
the leg in case the edema was coming from a wound. That was when I touched a
lot of crusty stuff.

The Vet broke off an ugly looking thing that looked at first like a peeled
onion. He knows how much this horse means to me so was being diplomatic but
finally said he would guess a sarcoid, a big one.  First I thought cancer
then got my mind in gear (I had already buried Charley and was in a rest
home) and we discussed a biopsy to be certain and what procedures to take.
He said there were several alternatives if this is what it is.  Surgery,
which he is reluctant about because of the location.  Xray, which is what my
book suggests, or freezing.  My Vet favors the freezing.  We will knock
Charley out on the grass and hope he goes down on his correct side but I
have some sturdy trees to tie the leg to.

I just wonder what others have experienced and I have heard they tend to
return?  Charley is 19 and has been quite healthy to this point.

Also, my Vet told me there is a very bad disease around New Jersey, Pa.
State and that region which is brought by birds.  Horses from that area are
being banned from Wash. State which is a bit comical as no one pulls over
horse trailers entering the state.  The disease has killed horses, birds and
small pets and several people.  Anyone heard of it?  I wonder if that might
have been what happened to the mini?

Well with all this good news who needs bad?????  Jean

Jean Gayle
Aberdeen, WA
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]