This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 10/16/00 12:29:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> except for going across any little
>  water and she most definitely will not stick her feet in any soft
>  ground.
Horses have poor depth perception and will be wary of water that they don't
know the depth of.  I rode a 4 year old for a while who balked at any mud or
sand for the first few months of her training, which made me realize how much
instinct is involved in their reactions.  She objected to the soft ground b/c
she wasn't sure of the safety of that either.  Patience and repetition are
the cures for this.  I do a lot of walking through puddles and mud myself
with the horse in tow to make them trust my judgment.  It helps them trust me
more once I'm in the saddle.

Kate in CT
mom to Baldur