This message is from: "Cheryl Beillard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol, from the little reading I've done it seems that there are many
different types of oak (and maple) and that only specific types are toxic ..
maybe yours are not the deadly kind ..?  I can sympathise with not wanting
to cut down those mature oaks, no doubt you liked them there when you
acquired the property.  I would monitor the situation and think about
potbelly versus the larger size of pig (not suggesting you eat the pet!)
because in my experience you need a pretty tough fence to keep regular pigs
in (or out) of anything.  We fattened about 30 "weaner" pigs on our first
farm, every year for ten years and they were great animals.  In fact, we
have opted not to keep them any more because they were so intelligent, great
housekeepers! and had an obvious spark and sense of humour, as bright as our
dogs -- if given the chance, I suspect they would have been better trained.
Loved to be brushed, sprayed on hot days and played with any time.  We just
felt too badly about the process - esp. when it came time to ship (although
we had no difficulty selling them and always kept some for ourselves).  Our
horses then never seemed to mind them (in the barnyard) .. but don't know
what would have happened if we had tried pasturing them together.  I think
they'd wreck the pasture for anything else.

I have to say that this discussion is creating havoc with my enjoyment of
the fall.  I keep checking out the window to see if the girls are munching
under the trees instead of out on the grass .. because it won't be grass
they're eating if that's where they are!