This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi List,
I also own a Yak.  It was told to me long ago that the shedding of hair and
the growing of new coats has to deal with the amount of daylight in the day,
and has nothing to do with the temperature.  The longest day in the year is
June 21st.  When the days start getting shorter it triggers the growth of the
winter coat. That is why the horses shed out their summer coats in July and
start to put on their winter coat. Also the shortest day of the year is
December 21st and when the days start getting longer it triggers the coats to
shed when they get to a certain daylight hours.   Perhaps sunlamps in the
barn would keep the Yaks away......:-)
Sue