This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Denise, re "twisted wire bits, not the vicious type".  I have used the
double twisted wire for years and my horses love them.  But in the wrong
hands, they as any bit, can be vicious.  Anne Appleby talked me into using a
plain snaffle to get Gunnar to "willingly" lower his head and go on the bit.
I do not think he respects the plain snaffle as much and he misses the great
taste of the copper wire.  Had to work to get the wire bit out of his mouth
and the plain snaffle just drops out.

Seems to me there are many reasons for using different bits, depending on
the horse, what the rider is doing and what is expected from the horse.  I
have over one thousand bits in my collection and they all had a special use
I am sure.  The worst is a snaffle with barbed wire through the mouth and as
a curb chain and the least is... hmmmm.  Some date back to the Luristan
era,(1200 BC) bronze, and are plain snaffles, levered or "broken".  Another
is for the armored horse and has players on the salt and pepper shaped
mouth but terrific leverage from the eleven inch cheeks and hand wrought
chain.  Every way one can think of to restrain the horse must have had a
special horse in mind.  The US patent office has records of these inventions
back to its conception. (the Patent Office's)
My records say 1790.

There are good books out on bitting. I am sure the "search" machines can
find them for you easier than my moving the clutter keeping me from my
research books. One is by Tuke I believe and there is another I think called
Reinsmen of the West.  Gerhard Malm's most recent book, Bits and Bridles has
many examples of various bits.

I really think a good trainer is the fastest resource.

Aberdeen, WA
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]
http://www.techline.com/~jgayle