This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well - you guys are great!  Saved me big hassles.  The horse with the
swollen eye is *perfectly fine* this morning.  One mistake I now realize I
made in my diagnostic attempts was not to distinguish between "sore" and
"swollen."  In retrospect, the eyelid was "swollen" - and I assumed the eye
was sore.  However, he did not shy away from being touched, nor was he
blinking constantly - it was probably NOT "sore."

We did not call the vet, which turned out to be a very good thing.  I called
the vet this morning to ask about a persistent skin problem on my black
horse - one that I can't put in the ringworm, mange, scabies, rain rot, or
any other category.  I had been trying to ignore it for months - thinking it
was just "horse dings" that were going to heal, but it became clear that the
two bare, slightly scabby (but NOT round or, apparently contagious) patches
are not going to go away - and may even be gettting bigger.  So...decided
today to call the vet about that problem.

  Turns out the vet is out of town for two weeks.  My old super-cautious vet
that I used to have would probably have been on call for my vet.  That means
she would have come out (about $130) rather than try an interview and
over-the phone diagnosis.  When she got there, she would have sold us some
ointment, just to be doing something, and told us there was nothing to worry
about.

Additionally, wimpy me would have had to deal directly with the fact that I
had simply stopped calling the old vet.  I'll have to do that one day, I
suppose, but not really anxious to have the confrontation any time soon.
She tends to be a prickly sort - and she is unlikely to be good natured
about having lost a client who was a pretty good source of no-hassle revenue
for her- what with annual shots, teeth, and the occasional minor scrape or
cut on seven easy-to-handle horses.

In defense of my old vet - she started in practice in her late 30's - after
burning out as a horse trainer and mountain packer in Yosemite.  Right about
the time she bought her practice (which she has done pretty much solo -
straight out of vet school) her then-partner made a BIG mistake - resulting
in a nasty law suit.  He was called out to an injured horse. Diagnosed a
broken leg (without x-rays) and recommended putting the animal down.  The
owners did an autopsy.  Leg was NOT broken - and was, I suppose, at least to
tell the court, easily fixable.  I'm told she has been pretty gun shy since.

Anyway - long story - and thanks.

Gail
Gail Russell
Forestville CA