This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Is "sidebone"  just "ring bone" that doesn't "ring" P2?  Is there preventive
management for sidebone?
My farrier pointed out some not-yet-hardened bony growth on the inside of a
hind pastern - just above the coronary band on one of my horses.  This is
the horse whose hock conformation is not the best, and whose upper hock
joints are in the process of fusing.  On downhills it appears that he
weights the inside of that foot to avoid flexing his hocks (though it is
better when we get his upper hock joint injected) .  Farrier thought there
was nothing to do for it but try to trim his foot better.  If there is
something to be done about it I should get the vet out and do x rays, etc.

TIA

Gail

>Treatment and prognosis for ringbone would depend on the stage that it is
>in.  If it is in the early stages where it is just barely seen on x rays,
>then with treatment you can have a good prognosis of managing it.  If it
>is advanced with lots of changes seen on the x rays, then it can be
>pretty tough to keep the horse sound.  Treatments include rest, cold
>therapy (ice water soaks), corticosteroids (injected right into the joint
>if articular), and surgery for advanced cases.  Also, it is very
>important to keep the foot properly trimmed and balanced.  Many of the
>ringbones that I see are from a foot that is out of balance so one side
>is carrying more weight than the other.
>
>I can go on about this complex problem, but maybe this will get you
>started and if you have more specific questions I'll be happy to answer
>what I can.  Hope this helps!
>
>Steve White
>Waterloo, Nebraska

Gail Russell