This message is from: carol j makosky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> In a message dated 7/11/00 2:03:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << I asked the other day if Fjords are, as a rule bomb proof..... any
> comments?
>  Anything I can do to make mine less spooky before I begin to ride him?  >>
>
> I don't look on any horse as being bomb proof.  You never know when they
> might get zinged by a stinging bug, or something out of the blue startles
> them.  But my fjords are definitely a lot closer to bomb proof than any horse
> I've had before.  They startle in place, for the most part, or may take a
> step away from what startles them.  But I've never had one do a 180 on me, or
> rear, or shy uncontrollably sideways.
>
> The best way I can think of to desensitize him before you ride him is to go
> for long walks with him, into woods, by large bodies of water.  Get him used
> to trailers, cars, trucks, planes and trains if you can.  By the time you are
> riding him he will be "been there, done that", for the most part.
>
> Pamela

Hi,
Well said Pamela.  Heidi did a 180 with me and I only did a 90.  This is one of
the reasons I have a Fjord.  The fall is not far and I only got a nasty bruise.
I have to say it was my fault as I was not prepared for the six geese on the
trail ahead of me that suddenly took off.  You must always be ready for the
unexpected boogy-man.  The more exposure your horse has to strange things the
better they become and learn to trust you. Never ride with too loose a rein.
--
"Built FJORD tough"
Carol M.