This message is from: "Anneli Sundkvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ellen wrote:

> >I was wondering if the language experts out there might help me. My Fjord is
> >named Lasse. I was told that this meant "large truck". I was also told that
> >it is a man's name. Anyone out there know?>>

I'm no language expert, but...

In Sweden 'Lasse' is the most popular nickname for 'Lars', which is a Swedish
(according to my book - I myself think it's general Scandinavian) form of the
Latin 'Laurentius' which means 'crowned with laurel'. The form 'Lars' dates
back to the 16th Century.

'Lasse' is used as a male personal name in at least Sweden, Norway, Denmark and
Finland. Mabye you know the Swedish film director Lasse Hallström? He's worked
a bit in the US, directing 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?' and 'Cider House
Rules' for example.

I don't know about the truck-theory, but sometimes words get a popular meaning
aswell. We use the word 'bubbla' (bubble) for the classical Volkswagen model
beacuse someone referred to them as 'those bubbles in the road'. Mabye 'lasse'
has a second meaning in Norway.

Regards

Anneli

Anneli Sundkvist
Department of Archaeology & Ancient History
Uppsala University
St. Eriks Torg 5
S-753 10 Uppsala
Sweden
Phone: +46-18-4712082 (dept.) +46-18-553627 (home)