This message is from: Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  How old do they have to be before you do any driving, riding work with
> them.

Betty,Here at Green Valley Farm we start them under saddle the winter going
into their third year. However prior to this they are handled everyday &
taught ground manners.  Prior to ever sitting on them they fully understand
what it means to stand and accept whatever it is I am doing with them, ie:
clipping, bathing, farrier work, vet work, dentist.  I teach them to lunge and
expect them to give me their attention for 10-15 min's. They learn to walk,
trot and canter on the end of a 25 ft. lunge line, to stop and stand and to
move off and stay at whatever gait I ask in a steady and calm manner. During
these work outs I can asses their capabilities and attitude, I learn how much I
can ask and when to quit. I then ground drive them to develop some mouth
before I get on. The first few lesson are easy, short and calm. I've already
figured out what each individual horse will accept and then move on in training
according to that. Some horses are a little sensitive and we go about walking
and trotting with a calming-easy tone. Some others need "encouragement" to move
off and accept the fact that a "work session" is going on and they can't be in
"la-la land".
More important than age is your assessment of your individual horse. Learn to
read him, I know of a very good trainer who starts Fjords as two years old and
have  wonderful results. I currently have a three year old I have not ridden
yet because she needs concentrated time and right now I have four other horses
in hard training. I will start her when my show season is over. Each horse is
different and you have to adapt your training to that individual horse. Go with
your gut feeling, no two training programs are alike, take from everyone who
you ask a little something and create your own methods.
Good Luck.
Pat Holland, Mgr./Tr. Green Valley Farm