This message is from: "Anneli Sundkvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>According to the books I have on breeds, a Fjord is a warmblood. Merek>>

Well, according to all my breed books they are coldbloods. Still, I belive that
the fjord is one of the breeds that will be under these discussions from now
and then together with the Haflinger for example. Here in Sweden, fjords are
defenitiely regarded as coldbloods. But what I really ment when I talked about
the warmbloods is the bunch of group of riding horses of mixed origin
(generations back that is - they are all registred and regardes as purebreds)
we have at our barn. Most of them are registred as Swedish warmbloods but if
you should examine their pedigrees I belive you will find more German or
English blood.

In Sweden, we call this group of breeds 'halvblod' - halfbloods, since they all
started with a mix of TB or Arab and farm horses from different areas of
northern Europe: the Färsing horse from Scania is the material for the Swedish
warmblood. We all know that there is a bunch of German warmbloods: Holsteiner,
Westphaler, Hannoveranian...all of them are named after the area of their
origin. The direct translation of the English word 'warmblood' into Swedish
would be 'varmblod' which is a much larger group of horses that covers lighter
riding- and carriage horses. I always thougth that the the term 'warmblood' in
English ment BOTH this larger group AND was also a bunch name for the breeds we
call 'halvblod' - SWB, Holsteiner etc. Am I wrong on this one?

Regards

Anneli

Anneli Sundkvist
Department of Archaeology & Ancient History
Uppsala University
St. Eriks Torg 5
S-753 10 Uppsala
Sweden
Phone: +46-18-4712082 (dept.) +46-18-553627 (home)