This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/16/00 5:55:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< There's something I've noticed about horses for years.  I've asked vets
about
 it, and they had to look to see what I was talking about and had no clue as
 to what it was.  Mostly I noticed it in my Arabs.  They have those huge
 nostrils.  It isn't as evident in Fjords, as they're nostrils are
differently
 shaped (due to the necessity of warming their breath before it enters the
 lungs in their home country????).  Anyway, I know it seems weird.  But if
you
 look at your horse, in his/her nostril will be what looks like a huge pore.
 I thought it was some kind of scar when I saw it in my first horse.  But
then
 I noticed horse after horse after horse has this.  But I was listening to
 Oregon Public Broadcast Radio last Sunday and they said to wait and they
 would tell you about an organ you never knew you had!  Okay, they got my
 attention.  Said it is a Jacobson Organ (Brian, where are you now!).  It is
 large pore like thing in nostrils of all mammals!  It is most evident though
 in reptiles.  It does serve a purpose they say.  It sends primal scents,
that
 we aren't even consciously aware of to the back of the brain, the most
 primitive part.  I guess searching for that musk smell.  When you get the
 feeling when you see somebody that they like you or do NOT like you, it may
 not just be body language (according to the speaker on the show), but you
 could be picking up on the subliminal scent of the person reacting to you.

 So, for me that small mystery is solved.  Had to pass it on.  But I wonder
if
 anybody else has ever even noticed these little pores in their horses?

 Pamela >>
Somehow the term "vomero-nasal organ" or something like it, and the term
"flehmen posture" seems to sound like what you are describing. Input?

  • An Oddity Northhorse
    • Re: An Oddity FJORDING