This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Am enjoying the discussion on barn swallows.  We have a pair nesting in our
l00 year old dairy barn, in the same spot as last year.  Horse tail hairs are
hanging from the nest :)

This morning the swallows were making a big racket - chirping loudly and
flying fast around the barn - I thought it was our kitty, Gracie, walking
around that was bothering them -- when I turned the corner of the barn there
was a bluejay - in their nest - and the swallows were crazy!!  I ran to the
nest, waving my arms, hollering - the jay flew off out the door.

I, too, wondered about lice and cocciddia (sp??).  Last year our Irish
Terrier got very sick - he was diagnosed with cocciddia and I was told it
comes from bird droppings.  He recovered but am concerned about this year.
Will pick up the droppings as best I can from under the nest.  Anyone know
about this??

I, too, enjoy watching the swallows.  Last year the 5 babies would line-up on
a cable in the barn to roost for the night - so darn cute!!!

Linda in MN -

PS   The other day I found a nest near our house with three bluejay babies --
had noticed an adult in the tree staying close as I looked -- suddenly that
mama flew around and pecked me on the head - YIKES!!!!  Never had that happen
in all my 50 years (whoops!! - now you know - :):):)  )