This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur Rivoire)

Hello from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

Please, please, please . . . . When you're talking about how a horse is
built, it's CONFORMATION, not CONFIRMATION. As the word pertains to horses,
it refers to "conforming to the Breed Standard, or the generally accepted
standard for quality equines.  Dictionary Definition: The structure or
outline of an item or entity, determined by the arrangement of its parts.

 "Confirmation" is a religious ceremony.  Dictionary Definition: The act of
confirming; verification.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with how a
horse's parts are arranged.

And, when you're talking about a horse's parents . . .He's "out of the
mare", and "by the stallion."

Sorry, but it absolutely drives me nuts to read about a new foal who's "out
of Erland, Gjest, or whatever stallion".  Foals don't come "out of" the
stallion, they come "out of" the mare.  In describing the parentage of a
horse, you say he's "by Gjest, out of Freya".  Hey!  Let's give credit
where credit is due, in this case to the mare who carries the foal and
delivers it "out of" her body.

People on the Fjord list are by no means the only ones to make these two
mistakes.  You see it all the time, particularly "Confirmation" for
"Conformation."  Sorry, to be picky, but this has been bugging me for
years, and I just can't take it anymore.

Best Regards from Carol Rivoire who is anxiously waiting two foals by
Gjest, out of the imported mares, Riena and Stine, who are by Myrstein and
Ene, and out of Kariena and Silja respectively.
Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II
R.R. 7 Pomquet
Antigonish County