This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Fjord Friends-
I have been quiet for sometime, but faithfully reading each digest.  I need
your help....

My mare, Annie, has coffin bone rotation on both left (12degrees) and right
(7degrees) hooves.  I want what is best for Annie.  Currently she has
heart-bar shoes on and is really experiencing no pain.  The only reason I had
her x-rayed was due to the rotation she experienced last year in her left
front hoof and a bit of off step when she trots in a counter-clockwise
direction.  Last year her rotation was minor.

Well, the extent of this rotation has really thrown me for a loop and I would
just like anyone's advice on what to do.  I have been given so many mixed
signals!
One school of thought is to continue with heart bar shoes, and roll back her
toe.
The heartbar shoe will protect her foot and keep her from being sore.

Another school of thought, which is new to me, but I've heard and read about
from two different people, is to cut back her heel so the coffin bone is
horizontal to the ground, forget the shoes, and let her walk on regular
ground and get exercise.
The idea is she will be sore for a while, but with regular trimming (every
3-4 weeks) and exercise, that provides good circulation, in time she will
recover.

I am taking Annie to Cornell on Friday (6/9) to the farrier there for a
second opinion.  However, I value all of your experiences and would be
grateful for any ideas or research you've done/read.
Thanks so much!!!!!
Pat McCurdy
Cato, NY