This message is from: "David Stewart, Registrar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The Fjord Horse Registry of Scotland has recently "adopted" a four year old
gelding
called Reno.   His owner, Kirsty Stenlake, lives in Kent, England and
purchased him
aged six months old from a stud in Wales.    Kirsty (who was only a teenager
at the time of purchase) had hoped to establish a small Norwegian Fjord
Horse stud with her friend.   Sadly, however, Kirsty's veterinary surgeon
diagnosed Reno as having "a marked scoliosis of the thoracic spine to a
degree that will interfere with his use as a riding horse" soon after
purchase.  Reno was therefore, unable to be kept as an entire and had to be
gelded.    In time, Kirsty became so disillusioned that she lost her love
for the breed and gave up her "dream" of ever owning a Fjord horse stud.

I would like to know what, if anything, could have been done to prevent Reno
from getting scoliosis of the thoracic spine?   I believe Reno's dam was
aged twenty-six when she foaled him.  Also, what responsibilty should
breeders' take when breeding a foal such as Reno?

Finally, although the story of Reno is a very sad one, I can tell you that
the FHRS has found him a loving home for life.   I have been told that Reno
has settled into his new home and has made friends with two other ponies.

With good wishes,

David
http://homepages.thefree.net/fhrs/index.fhrs.htm