This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Sue Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Sue Harrison"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hello again everyone:  Well, I had my yearling  colt
> gelded last week.  I
> took him to the vet lab to have it done and they
> likened his disposition to
> that of a Brahma Bull.  Apparently he was bullheaded
> and strong to handle.

   This little guy
> appears to have a mind of his own.   Even with a
chain over his nose
> he does pretty much as
> he wants.... is this unusual for a Fjord?
  Has anyone
> else had this problem? Is it usual for a Fjord colt
> to act this way?

Sue,

It has been my experience that most Fjords will act
this way if given the chance.  It's not that they are
mean - they are just very willful.  If you are not in
a position to teach him otherwise, I suggest you find
a good trainer/horse handler to teach him his ground
manners.  I have had back surgery in the past and
cannot have a horse 'hauling me around by the halter',
so I take mine to a local trainer who teaches them
their manners and then I take it from there.  It helps
to establish who is 'boss' in other areas as well -
such as taking his hay away from him temporarily and
fussing over it as if you intended to eat it while he
waits patiently.  When he IS waiting patiently, saying
'please', then walk away and let him have it back.

Young Fjords will 'take over' if they feel they can.
They don't know any better and need to learn
otherwise.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman