This message is from: Steve Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I agree wholeheartedly with Carol and Mary.  I have been studying purebred
animals ever since I had the means and wherewithal to do so.  There are few
things I enjoy more than going to a specialty dog breed show.  I run
straight to the info desk to buy a catalog so I can study the dogs as
though I were a breeder. I have collected many of these catalogs over the
years, they are very special to me and to all serious connoisseurs of the
breed.

Because I have done this for many years, I can talk pedigrees in a real way
with a breeder.  If a fellow asks me, "Did you see the yellow Dickendall
dog that showed at Chattanooga in 1997, what did you think of him?"  I can
say, "Yes, I did, the lovely, cobby fellow with a wonderful coat and
expression?"  I dont have to say, "Yes, I went to that show and there were
some yellow dogs there ... "

If I am thinking of breeding my precious mare and I am considering a couple
of stallions ... I can go to a breed show and study the animals they sired
to see which stallion would best nick with my gal.  Without a catalog and
pen in my hand all those horses in the ring mean nothing to me.  If I see
one I particularly like, I can try to chase him down after the class ...
big deal, it's not the same, that relegates studying the breed to 'who's
the cutest boy'.

Having pedigrees at hand at a breed show allows breeders to study - in
person, hands on even - many animals at the same time, comparing them with
one another in a way that one can do no place else but at a breed show.  I
also agree with the sentiment ... 'what's the point in having halter
classes without catalog in hand'.  I can't even see me going to a
Fjordhorse show until a catalog is available because every single time I
saw a mare who carried herself in a particular way, or a stallion who
caught my eye, a mare that hatefully pinned her ears back in a very
un-Fjordlike manner, or a young one who had a specially delightful
personality ... I would ache for a catalog so I could jot a note beside the
animals name and get an instant glance at sire/dam/breeder/owner.  That's
my take on the catalog thing!!!!!