This message is from: Vivian Creigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When I was in Aiken training with Larry Poulin for 5 weeks the farm where he
was located fed round bales, in fact round bales were fed at nearly every
farm I went to. I had misgivings about putting round bales in with my three
Fjord mares because of the threat of botulism as well as the image of Fjords
looking like engorged ticks. I originally was buying small square bales from
local feed store but that only lasted 3 days as the price comparison made
feeding round bales much more attractive.

The bales were kept under cover on pallets and once you peeled the outer
layer the hay was green and sweet smelling. The vet down there ssaid that
most people did not vaccinate for botulism as it apparently wasn't a
problem. I'm relieved that I didn't make her a liar.

I really think that because of the sandy soil having  free access to hay at
all times helped keep them from ingesting too much sand while browsing. I
did feed them pysillium(sp). to prevent sand colic. It was really rather
amusing to see the threee of them standing around a small mountain of hay
like three Norwegian girls at an all you can eat buffet, but they didn't eat
all day and they were all being worked quite hard. So I came back home with
sleek well muscled ponies who I'm sure are wondering why the buffet is
closed.

 I have to say that it worked really well for me and the mares have never
looked better. My vet was totally impressed yesterday when she came out to
do spring shots on the remaining horses. I'm not sure this would have been
the case with ponies that weren't in hard work.

Vivian Creigh
Springfield, VT
26 degrees and sunny