This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> The local hay that I have been feeding the easy keepers has become moldy.  I
> went to my hay dealer and he had a shipment of Rye grass in that a farmer is
> growing strictly for horses! I can not find a reference on rye grass.  Do
> any of you feed it and what is the calcium/phosphorus content.

I have in the past fed ryegrass hay; my equines loved it!  When I've
planted annual ryegrass (to overseed bare spots), they graze down
those areas, first.

A quick skim thru some reference material shows an entry for "Italian
Ryegrass Hay, Late":

  Digestible Energy     0.73 Mcal/lb
  Crude Fiber          20.9%
  NDF Fiber            56.3%
  Crude Protein        41.1 grams/lb
  Calcium               2.47 grams/lb
  Phosphorus            1.36 grams/lb

Of the types of hay in that particular table, these numbers most
closely resemble the entries for "Timothy Hay, Early Bloom":
  (0.83, 29.6% 54.0%, 43.1, 2.04, 1.16)

As with most hays, a lot will depend on growing conditions, harvest
time, etc, so these numbers are merely guidelines, not gospel!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon