This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Teressa Kandianis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> This message is from: "Teressa Kandianis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I've got to replace an aged and overworked 15 hp
> mower and think it would be
> wisest to go for something more on the line of the
> garden tractor.
> Something with higher hp but still able to be used
> for mowing the big areas
> of my lawn, but getting through my pasture when the
> fjords aren't allowed to
> mow it with their teeth, hauling manure in decent
> quantity

We have kept Fjords for several years on small acreage
- 4+ acres.  Our tractor(mechanical one, anyway) has
been an ancient Wheel Horse yard/garden tractor.
These tractors are still manufacured - I believe Toro
actually makes them now, but they are still marketed
as Wheel Horse. These are REAL small tractors, not
just overgrown riding lawn mowers!

 Ours has always been great. We bought it second hand.
 It came with an attachable snowplow, which we used to
'rearrange' manure and spread sand in the roundpen,
and an adjustable rake, which we used to 'groom' the
roundpen and rake up manure, etc.  This model - and
the new models - have a whole array of attachments
available, including mower decks.  The mower decks can
be 'dropped' and left in the shed when not in use - a
big plus when you're doing other things on uneven
ground where a mower deck can be a real nuisance.
BTW, ours will be for sale this spring - as soon as we
get it tuned up - as we no longer have enough use for
it with just one ancient Fjord.  Hopefully someone new
will get a few more years out of the old tractor.

Mary

( i can only take
> a heaped up cart downhill now).  I appreciate some
> of these threads sharing
> ideas of keeping horses on small acreage.  It won't
> be long before my grass
> gets really growing and I have to move Nina and
> Merit back to their scorched
> earth paddock so I'm in the market now.  Teressa K.
> in Custer, WA

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms