This message is from: "Stephen Nasby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I pile it in a big pile and let it sit, turning it with the tractor now and then. I have a large 5-6 foot high by 20 feet wide by 50-70 feet long pile from cleaning all winter (lots of fun hauling when the tractor doesn't work!), and let it sit. I would love to have a place to store it under to keep it from leaching nutrients, but maybe next year. It is too big to put a tarp over, but if you have a small pile you could cover it. I haul the more broken down stuff into the hay field and the composted stuff onto the pasture if it is needed - if they aren't grazing on the pasture, I figure it probably doesn't need much manure, and if they are grazing it, then they are applying their own manure which can be raked or harrowed. If you compost it long enough (in a pile that heats up some), then there shouldn't be anything left that would be harmful.
Heather
This message is from: "DT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Has this topic been discussed? I have been reading up on this area and
wondering what some of you do with all the manure that you have. I am
especially interested in knowing what those of you who have the equivalent
of 1-2 horses per acre do. Do you compost? If so how do you go about it and
what do you do with the compost? I have heard that one shouldn't spread
manure over horse pasture as it will reinfect the horse. However I thought
if the pile had been decomposing anything in it that would reinfect a horse
would be killed. Does anyone know?

If this isn't the place to ask can someone point me in the direction of
those I can ask?

Deb