This message is from: Kathleen Spiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> As an educator (people)  and long time supervisor  - I will add amen to the
> positive reinforcement.  --people or animals regardless of position.  It
> doesn't mean relaxing rigor or expectations, just a far more powerful and
> expedient way to guide  individuals to achieve to the best of their ability.
> Unfortunately, it is not always an innate response  to keep your cool and
> accentruate the positive when what you would really like to do is " twist off
> their heads and spit down their windpipes" ( a method of training favored by
> some of my colleagues) and most of us need reminding.

> On another subject - anyone in the vicinity of Southeastern Idaho- there will
> be a driving clinic on Saturday March 2-starting at 9 AM at the Rock-N-Horse
> Arena in Pocatello Idaho.  Participants $30.00-Observers $15.00.   There will
> be a program in the morning which will include fitting harnesses - starting
> horses to drive and other topics.  There will then be times to  work with
> individual participants throughout the day. There is an indoor and outdoor
> arena and there will be two clinicians. In the late afternoon, they will do
> some demonstrations on starting green horses - one mule and one fjord.  Del
> Barney  and his son will conduct the clinic.  They are part of the
> multigenerational Barney family  from the upper valley who for many years been
> the premier drivers, showers  and breeders of draft horses and mules. ( They
> also seem to win most of the competitions, from Big hitches to ladies cart
> classes).    This clinic is not part of a formal club or anything, just a
> group
> of people who like to drive or would like to learn to drive who got together
> and asked for help.  It should be a fun and relaxed event and a chance to meet
> people with similar interests.

Contact me if you are interested and I will put you in touch with the
organizers.  If you are bringing your horse from a distance, there may be
stabling arrangements available.  There will also be refreshments.

Kathy in SE Idaho - where I see the posts from Fairbanks and wonder if I should
move north - this weekend was the first day we had a low that was near zero ( it
has been 15 - 33 below forever) and the high got close to 30 ( 0-10 has been all
we could manage)  Don't let it scare you off from the clinic though- Pocatello
runs 20 or more degrees warmer than my house.