This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jean, I used straw, but had plenty of hay in the stall for my mare to eat.
You could also bed them down in clean grass hay to avoid any worries about
eating straw.

A friend here, who is on the list, has a fjord mare due to foal in March
here in Fairbanks, where it can be -40 at night sometimes.  She had to have
the mare bred early as she was being transported up to Fairbanks in
May..but she will have a heated area for foaling. The trick is to make sure
the mare is inside when she foals..She has lined up several friends to
watch the mare while she is teaching at school.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, +18 F today and I started to clear the arena
with the snowblower.
 At 03:37 PM 2/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Karen that is a toasty clean stall you prepare but just one word of caution.
>Fjords eat straw, the mare could overload on it and have more than just
>birth problems.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]