This message is from: "Michele Bigelow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We've had two foals, and I started ponying them on short trail
rides...leading up to longer ones, as soon as they respected the halter and
leading.  I continued to do this until it was time for riding.

I have a very special memory of my first foal (a B&W Paint), at the PtHA
Futurity Show.  My goal was to show the foal in the futurity (as well as
give him experience at a show, trailing, staying over in strange places...),
and maybe do a dressage test with my mare.   The foal was 5 months old and
not weaned yet.  I was warming up in the ring, ponying him as usual, and
didn't the little bugger decide that this nice soft sandy ring was a great
place to lay down for a roll.   practically took me out of the saddle, my
trainer was hysterically laughing, as well as the small following of people
we attracted.  A freelance photographer got a few great shots of us......the
three of us had fun (me the mare and foal) that weekend.