This message is from: "finally r farm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Perhaps, I wasn't too clear in my earlier post regarding the bending and
side reins. We never ride with side reins...we would just use them on the
round pen, lunging. Tana would be all tacked up and asked to move out....I
don't use a lunge line. I use my body, voice and a short whip to direct her.
We don't do much riding in the round pen, I prefer to use the arena for
riding. We have another Fjord, Ole (gelding) who seems to move forward
better than Tana, doesn't flatten out like Tana (we've pretty much got under
control but she does try!) and he seems to be more flexible than Tana. He
has more of the "sport" build than Tana, who is draftier. He is younger (by
2 years) and less experienced than Tana.  Tana's lack of flexibilty makes
short or tight jumping courses more difficult to ride. Tana is my daughter's
heart and her Pony Club mount.....she is wonderful, reliable just the way
she is but if we can improve her and our own skills, we will strive to.

I really liked the post on not using any aids at all  and will try the
pointers.

Jeri in Missouri