This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ok, here goes...........
       I never use side reins on anything.  I do all my work either in hand
or from the saddle.  (Sorry, I know lots of people use them).  I have used
them in the past, briefly, but have watched horse after horse after horse
learn exactly where to go to get away from the pressure.  My dressage trainer
could tell instantly when I had tried a moment with side reins....I had tried
a visiting clinician, who said "side reins".  I want my horses (mule) to look
for the bit, seeking that soft contact, not backing off of it. Nothing
compares to a pair of sympathetic/tactful hands when it comes to training a
horse.
       I prefer the quicker release responses that come from human hands when
the horse accomplishes what I am asking it to do, no matter how minute,
whereas the side reins allow for none of that.  There is nothing about the
use of side reins that will tell the horse when they have got it right, as it
relates to how I want my horses to handle the bit when I am riding or
driving....(except that they do learn they are more comfortable when they
avoid pressure altogether). I don't ride/drive my horses by pretending that
my arms and reins are side reins.....I allow for lots of gives and takes to
reward them, as appropriate.
       In hand, you can ask the horse to bring his head around to the inside,
while putting a little hand pressure on the horse's side where they are
bending, approximately where the foot would go to ask for a bend.  This
translates well into the saddle.  This starts to set them up for leg yields,
canter departs, picking up dropped shoulders, etc.
       Too, from the saddle, there has to be enough release on the outside
bend of the young horse to allow it to bend to the inside.  Also, the rider
must be aware of their positioning, so that the horse does not fall into the
circle with the shoulder.
       So, from the saddle, the horse must have the shoulders up, while the
rider gives it support with the inside leg.  And, it is wonderful to have the
horse supported with the outside rein, but that takes work, but it holds the
bend.
       Carrying weight is also different from going without, and it might
just take a little time for your Fjord to acclimate to the weight.  As with
all training, start at the walk................once you get things going
correctly there, then move on to the trot....................etc.  This may
not be a one day session...but give Tana time to figure it out.
       Yes, I have the beautiful German leather side reins with donuts, out
collecting dust.  It makes more work for me, but it also strengthens the bond
between me and my "herd", as there is actually more "communicating" time.
       Hope this helps...........I try so hard to keep my ears and eyes open.
 Listened to Klaus Balkanhol, who trained the German Olympic Dressage Team
and is now in the US doing the same for our US team members..........  He
doesn't believe in ANY gimmicks..........because in one fashion or another,
it always leaves holes in the training that will have to be filled by going
back and doing the "hands on" approach again.  Discussed nose bands,
too............they are a temperature gauge as to how you are doing as a
rider, can tell is something is bothering the horse, etc.......so do NOT
crank it down!!!  He was phenomenal!!!!!!  It was nice to hear that
reinforcement that I seem to be on the right track, even though I have made
my mistakes along the way, too.
       Hope this helps.
                   Carole Sweet
ps......there are others on the list, I am sure, that can probably fine tune
what I have said, and make it a little clearer.....but this is a start.