This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>please comment on raising a "single foal" - what are some
>issues that might be different compared to having several foals born on the
>property??

 Does your gelding get along with your mare?  When my big gelding Bjorken
was born I just had him and his mom and Bjarne, an older gelding.  I kept
Stella and the baby in their own paddock with access to the stall and
Bjarne had an adjoining paddock.  Little Bjorken would go stand next to the
fence where Bjarne was standing  and seemed to idolize him. (Maybe a boy
thing).  I didn't really let them be all together all the time until he was
weaned (at more than a year old) but now, knowing what I do, I would have
put them together much earlier.  Bjarne taught Bjorken manners and played
with him a lot.  Stella also played with him, but boys play harder! Bjarne
was the boss (still is at 27) and I think Bjorken turned out well partly
because of Bjarne's help.  Older gelding are often very good baby sitters.

My friends, the Brunners, who usually only have on foal at a time, have had
a quarterhorse gelding as baby sitter until he went to a new owner, and now
have an old pony gelding as babysitter and playmate.  Nickers, the old
pony, gets tired of the foal's roughhousing and teaches him manners also.
They also let all the horses, except the stallion, run together in a big
corral, separating them somewhat at feeding time, and at night, when The
mare and foal and Nickers get the corral with the stall which they share.

You may have to separate them at feeding time, but this has worked out well
for us.  It all depends if the mare and gelding get along.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska Partly cloudy today and +10 F.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]