This message is from: "Dave McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I plan on doing the ski-joering with a mounted rider pulling a skier, or
>someone on a snow tube.  How do you do that with no rider?  Do you have a
tow
>rope and reins?  Must be hard to do both.

I have equipment that has two shafts of flexible plastic tubing which hook
to a bracket on the girth.  At the back, they have a cross bar of the same
material, with two levers that swivel fore and aft.  You attach lines to
these, which go forward to the bit.  The whole thing allows you to drive the
horse and ski at the same time.  A friend, Laurie Neely, imported five of
these from France, where I guess they are in common use.  We are hoping to
generate some interest around this area, and who knows? even events at some
point.  Alls I know is there is snow from Maine to Washington, and lots of
horses standing around.

Driving the horse while skiing is definitely a challenge to me.  The horse
has no idea what the plan is, so she doesn't help by being an automatic
participant.  When the horse is seasoned to this, and I have regained some
ability to stand on skis, it gets easier, lots easier.

I think to do the skiing behind the horse on a rope, with rider on horse, is
good too.  There, instead of driving the horse, you probably spend some time
yelling at the rider to slow down!  Or go faster.  With a rope, you could
swing wider in the corners, and that is definitely fun.  Doing it with a
rope and breast collar is a quick and inexpensive choice.  I would recommend
it.

I have seen video of people racing in Europe, and others doing some form of
ski ballet.  Maybe we'll get to that next week.  Or next lifetime.

My problem now, like in WI, is poor snow.  We have some icy snow, but the
paths I had plowed have bare spots.  I welcome the next snow.

Dave