This message is from: "Knutsen Fjord Farm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mary - I had the line at the wrong level. The real address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , honest!

White to white - 25% albino. White to Grey - depends on whether the Grey has
the Cremello gene. Totally safe if he/she does not. Only way to tell if the
Grey has the Cremello is by foals on the ground - lots of foals mean lots of
evidence, but it still may not be conclusive. That is, you can sometimes be
sure of genotype by looking at what HAS been thrown. But you can't be
certain of genotype on the basis of what HASN'T been thrown.

For example, we believe Erlend has no Cremello because he has always thrown
Grey when bred to Grey and has only thrown Brown or Grey when bred to
Brown - so far! [see Arne's note in last digest] And, we have a fairly large
sample size of 45 NFHR registered foals. But he could still surprise us if
he threw another color bred to either Brown or Grey. And, we could get more
info if he were bred to Red or Uls Dun. The evidence supports BB w/o
Cremello, but does not exclude the possiblity of Bb and/or Cremello.

Inference can be made from pedigrees about what might happen. I, too, find
this discussion quite interesting. If Erlend surprised us and produced a
foal that could only come if he was Bb and carried Cremello, that would mean
he could produce Yellow with the proper individual of any color! [again, see
Arne's note]

Julie Will, on the other hand, can be certain of Flotren's genotype because
the foals he has produced with the mares he has covered could only be
produced if he had that exact genotype.

I think I've written enough to thoroughly confuse myself, so I'll stop for
now.

Peg Knutsen - Ellensburg, WA
http://www.eburg.com/~kffjord/