This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 1/10/02 9:48:24 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< We're looking for a 'first' horse for the kids, and have been for some
time.
 We know the general advice is to get an older, half-dead horse that couldn't
 hurt anybody.  We tried that with a 17 year old quarterhorse, who nearly
 killed my very experienced wife.  That's actually what encouraged us to
 consider Fjord horses.  The ones we've seen wouldn't do that sort of thing.

      Your general advice is the right advice IMHO. Sorry you got burned on a
QH, and your wife got hurt. Im not sure what you mean by " the ones ( Fjords
? ) youve seen wouldnt do that sort of thing....."  What sort of thing ?
Fjords are large draft ponies, and are subject to the same potential training
and bad habits that other breeds do. They are wonderful, and the breed we
choose to live with, breed, show and drive. They also show us alot of typical
pony / horse traits, and are not born kid proof. I have a few that would be
considered kid safe, with the kid having lessons before using the Fjord. I
have a few that would be OK for advanced youngsters. I have a few who are not
ever going to be considered kid proof. Among these are my most winning Fjords
in advanced driving.  Kids also are not born knowing what to do and what not
to do around horses, and need adult supervision around them. Ive seen Fjords
who buck, run off, bite, kick and show nasty dispositions. Ive been asked
more times than you might believe to take some of these Fjords for a month
and " fix " the problem. The problems mentioned have been bred or created in
alot more than one month, and I do not work with these Fjords, as there are
not enough incentives to re-train poor behavior for me. I would not consider
working with any horse for one month to fix problems. Please know that a
well-trained Fjord.....used to most things that your kids will want to do,
trail ride, 4-H, parade, drive ? ect. ect. is not born, but trained. No Fjord
is kid proof, but one who has been well started, and has been held to high
standards in ground behavior, along with a few trailer rides, shows, at least
one year of safe drives, rides....is ( hopefully ) suitable for your family.
Dont forget that vet check with x-rays. They also get foundered, ringbone,
navicular, EPM ect.

           Lisa Pedersen