This message is from: "Dudley and Karen Haines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Listers,

If I were in the market to buy a horse, this is what I would look for:

At the top of the list is the "rideability", "work-ethic" or "try" quality,
whatever you choose to call it, that has been well-defined in previous
messages on this list. Not only is this desirable at the upper performance
levels, it is desirable at the pleasure horse level! I want a horse that with
time and training will go where I point him. I want to be able to ride out on
the trail alone and have a willing horse under me.

I would look for a mare or gelding, in the age range of about 5 to 12.
Conformation as it relates to soundness would be important. If a horse has the
temperament I am looking for, a yellow ribbon in a conformation evaluation
would be fine. I would put more emphasis on good conformation in the legs,
feet and a good, strong topline.

I would want to know if the horse had a history of bucking or bolting. I don't
expect a guarantee against these things; I just want an honest assessment of
his tendencies. I would talk extensively with the breeder/seller about my
level of experience and what I plan to do with the horse to see if it's a good
match.

I would look for a pleasure riding and driving horse that can, or has the
potential to handle mountain trails and do local horse shows. I want three
good gaits. The horse would need enough training to be able to assess all
these things I have listed, but does not have to be perfectly finished. I
don't care that the horse is not of breeding quality or has the potential to
do upper level performance.

I would expect to pay between $4,000 and $6,000 for such a horse.

As I look back over what I've written, I see that I have described my Jani
(Knut x Camilla). The reason she is such fun to ride and be around is her
incredible temperament. If I were able to find this in another horse, I would
be very happy.

Which brings me to a question that I have for breeders and sellers. It takes
some time to be able to assess if the characteristics one is looking for are
present in a horse. I am curious how much time is spent with the average buyer
before they decide to buy one of your horses.

Personally, I don't want to take up a lot of a seller's time, but on the other
hand if I am going to shell out several thousand dollars, I want to do
everything possible to make sure I'm getting a horse I will be happy with.
Once I have determined that I am seriously considering buying a horse, I would
like to be able to spend several sessions with the horse - doing groundwork,
grooming and riding. Is this a common practice? Is this reasonable or
unreasonable to expect to be able to do this? Breeders/sellers, what are your
feelings about this. How do you best like to sell horses?

Looking forward to your comments,

Karen Haines