This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 12/9/01 6:50:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>        Horse breeding is certainly not an exact science - you can breed the
> best to the best, and still get a mediocre - or worse - horse.  BUT -
> planning your matings, doing your research, understanding conformation, and
> using the best animals does greatly increase your chances of getting an
> individual that you can be proud of.
>        Can you tell that I feel strongly about this?  Sorry for the rant....
>                    Jan

Yep.  I agree.  I've had a couple decent quality horses, that I would NOT
breed.  I had the colt gelded and didn't breed the 2 mares.  They were great
riding horses, but were not the best representatives of their breeds.  It's
much easier to buy GOOD horses than breed and get ????  And it can certainly
be a crap shoot, even with good stock.  Our palomino mare was pregnant when
we bought her, and she had a drop dead gorgeous palomino filly.  Every
quarter horse person who saw her was absolutely floored.  She was so nice, we
tried it twice.  The next baby, full sister, was a weird rabicano roan color.
 With a gawky looking body, and was really very so-so.  I really was not
thrilled with her personality, she was NOT the kind of horse I want around a
special needs child, so she went up for sale.  She eventually was sold to a
man who just adores this horse.  But really, we barely got more than the stud
fee for her.  And with all the time, energy, feed, vet care, training we put
into her, we lost our shirts!  So, the same cross produced one A+++ filly,
and one C grade. Go figure.

Now the Juniper and Misha cross, I could not have asked for a better filly.
Nice legs, feet, conformation.  A beautiful feminine look and an easy,
pleasing disposition.  Our trainer is having a  WONDERFUL time working with
this one!

Pamela