This message is from: "mhd/gcc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,
    I have some questions regarding Dr. Robert Beecher's comments summarized
on page 30 of the Fall 2001 Fjord Herald. He states that because of the
Fjord's body shape, dense coat, and amount of subcutaneous fat, heat
dissipation is more difficult, which, in turn, makes it more difficult for a
Fjord to perform at the upper levels. If there are any veterinarians on this
list, I would appreciate it if they could provide some suggestions as to ways
to help a Fjord more effectively dissipate heat. I live in Maryland and have a
5-year old gelding that is ridden at least 5 days a week. I have clipped him
from under his jowl, through his front legs, under his belly, and over the
lower shoulder and the girth area, which seems to help. I do not want to do a
full body clip. With the warm days we've been having, he really sweats under
his winter coat and his respiration rate sometimes is elevated, although
returns to near normal fairly quickly. Are there certain diets that would
help?
    Also, when do you know a Fjord is truly "in shape"? Do Fjords develop the
same solid muscle of a well-conditioned horse of another breed, or do their
muscles stay sort of soft? I also own a 9-year old Morgan gelding who doesn't
have an ounce of fat on him and has well-defined muscles. His musculature
never really looked like my Fjord's, even when he was younger. Just wondered
if the Fjord breed is different in that regard also.
    Thank you in advance for your help.                      Best regards,
Melissa