This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Wild Mustang of the Rockies. Amazing filming, beautiful sceanry, and the
>horses were just beautiful !!! A point about the markings of color, the
>duns had zebar like stripes about the knees and occasionally about the
>withers. Is this true of all dunns? I thought this was a unique marking
>trait on Fjords? Any comments?

"Zebra Dun" is the Dun color type which has the leg striping..found in
other breeds. The Zebra Dun is one variation of the Linebacked Dun, some
others are the red Dun and the Grullo, which would be a "grey" in the
Fjord. The Fjord breed displays only linebacked dun colors and no others
due to selective breeding.

Linebacked Duns are common in Spanish breeds from North and South America,
very common in northern European pony breeds, and are present in a few
draft breeds.  They are notably lacking in the Arabian and Thoroughbred.
Check out Dr. Phillip Sponenberg's books on Equine Color Genetics to better
understand this fascinating subject.

Jean in Fairbank, Alaska, sunny and +29 degrees F today.
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]