Hi there everyone,
    Well, we hardly got back and Brigid is already busy and inspired (thanks
Cindy) to work with our horses. Yesterday, we went to the ranch and she
wanted to try Knute out on the trail for the first time since we got him. In
the past eleven months, his only exposure was the arena, and learning his
cues through his "clicker " training. (why do I have a hard time with that
word)? To refresh memories, when we first got him, and put him in the arena,
all he would do was bolt at the sight of the whip, or any other reason.
Riding was clearly out of the question. It wasn't until about six months that
Brigid strapped a saddle on him. On mounting him, ZOOM, off he would go. I'm
sure if we weren't in the arena, he would not have stopped until he was in
Norway.....I too suffered the consequences of his abrupt behavior : (  A fast
learner, I no longer attempt to interfere with his progress : ) (smart huh).
A couple of months ago I watched Brigid working with him and was amazed at
his progress, and especially his behavior. A total transformation. She knew
he was ready to go on. (not me of course) On our way home from Skandi Fest,
she told me that Wednesday we would be riding together, and she wanted to
take Knute out on the trail for the first time. I agreed of course. (In my
mind I thought she was crazy)... Not wanting to discourage her, I totally
supported her decision (verbally.)
    We tacked up, and I watched as she mounted her mighty steed, waiting for
that initial "explosion," to my surprise and relief, Knute just stood there,
looking quite content. Upon releasing our horses, Knute decided to take the
lead (something that Raphael never allows her Tommes to do) walking out the
gate as though he had done this all year. (11 MO.) About a quarter mile down
the road, I couldn't hold back the tear that glistened from my eyes, as I
watched them proudly parade down the trail in a magnificent long stride
walking gate. Brigid's red hair swaying gently from side to side. Her dream
had come true. It seemed as though Raphael was even tuned in to the moment,
staying close behind like a big brother watching little brother take his
first steps. We rode a while, and Brigid wanted to try to trot him. Would he
revert to the screaming machine he once was? This question riddled my mind as
Raphael and I took the lead, Knute quickly caught up, and side by side, we
trotted as though held together by Velcro. No trouble going back to the walk.
With the sweet smell of success in her nostrils, Brigid decided it was time
to head home. On the way back, we walked, trotted and, (ready for this)
cantered, then, walked the last end of the ride. I think my Brigid could
train an ant now. God knows she's got me trained in believing in her
abilities as a rider and a trainer of our wonderful Fjords. Thank you honey,
Knute was not destined to be a pasture ornament. Your confidence and patience
with him has produced a wonderful pleasure animal. God Bless you. Jack