This message is from: "Dudley and Karen Haines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the Fjord world! You don't say where you live in So. Cal, but it
probably will depend where you live and if you clip them, if you will need to
blanket them or not. There are quite a few different climates within this
area.

We live in the high desert where it is quite dry and can get extremely windy
in the winter. The difference between high and low temps during a day,
including the wind chill factor can easily exceed 70 degrees or more. I don't
clip my horses, and they get a pretty good coat on them. What I have found
works best for me is to determine each night if it is going to be really
blustery, and blanket them accordingly. If the forcast is for 20 degrees and
quiet, I don't blanket them - they're fine. If at the same temp, the wind is
howling - I blanket them. It's the wind that really chills them. We also put
up panels on their corrals in winter to help block the wind. If they were
running free, they would probably find their own shelter and do fine. But, as
long as I insist on keeping them confined and not let them act on their own
survival instincts - I need to blanket.:)

I also like to check their ears to see if they are cold. I've always heard
that cold ears means a cold horse. Also, their hooves will get colder.

Good luck with Buddy!

Happy fjording,
Karen Haines