This message is from: "Dagrun Aarsten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Eileen, seems like your Jane is quite a personality.

When training Fjord Stallion Kneist in Norway last year I went to a nearby
barn once a week for jumping training. All the others were riding expensive
warmbloods but little Kneist did really well among them and he was quite
proud of himself. This was in an indoor arena and it was in midwinter so in
some places the going (under the sand) turned slippery. After a particularly
good jump he was so excited I couldn't slow him down enough for the corner,
and we slipped and fell over. The ground was soft so none of us were hurt,
but then he started moaning and refused to get up - I got all worried until
he started rolling with great pleasure - with saddle and all. It really
seemed that he wanted to save face in front of the other horses, like "I
didn't fall. I was just lying down for a good roll because I felt like it".
So funny.

A month later, it happened again, we were supposed to do extremely small
circles in canter, with me in ultrashort stirrups on top - and we sort of
lost the balance in the middle of it all. Again, he wanted to roll, but this
time I was prepared and managed to pull him up before he ruined my saddle
even more. The trainer laughed herself silly, she had never seen anything
like him.

Dagrun - in Italy for a few days and then ten days in Norway before flying
back to San Jose:-) Unfortunately, no time to visit Kneist, he is on stud
duty far away from where I'm going.