This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/15/01 10:15:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 On another note, I finally hooked up my 2 yr old to the cart this week!
 He's been ready for a while, but never had anyone around to help me on
 the days it hasn't rained.  We have been doing various patterns (in the
 paddock) and have been trotting with the cart in circles with really
 long lines >>

    Finally hooked at 2 ?   Strictly a matter of opinion here, but at 2, the
Fjords are just begining to show slight maturity, emotional sense and have
another 3 + years of bone growth and height. I see the thread about starting
to ride 2 yr olds, and only will offer that at 2, lots of training can and
should be done. Here, it does not include riding or hitching them to pull.
Some of the things we work at when they are 2, are :

 Trailering, loading easy and standing without fuss inside. Hauling some
distances and in differant types of small and large trailers.

 Being tied up <without> pawing, fussing, screaming for barn mates, pulling
back, or generally acting like jerks.

 Leading manners, <without> pulling, going ahead, falling back or dragging
you towards the nearest food source.

 Squaring up, and ground tying.

 Of course, clipping, picking up and holding up feet for farriers without
acting like wild mustangs.

 Hauled to shows and tied up for entire day....watching the world go by
without being the only one in it. <g>

 Bitted up at a long 2, and harnessed with crupper, britchen collars ect.

 Working at a lunge, lightly, better yet longlining with simple " walk, trot,
WHOA and STAND " being the primary issue.

 Taken to heavy traffic areas and practicing that WHOA and STAND
thing....while trucks and motercycles ( hopefully ) race by.

 Exposed also, to dogs, ducks, sheep ( our personal monsters here ) and
llamas. ( OMG )

 Learning that just because there is grass underfoot, does not mean to yank
off ones owners arm trying to get to it. Heads up means just that, and is
only manners and attentive work.

 Teaching that a whip is to cue and reward, not to punish.....running it
between legs, under tail, over head ect. Snapping it without a big response,
as lots of people did not get that first part.

 Wearing a saddle so we can see how cute they will be next year when they
start saddle work.

 Ponying all over town or tie off to a broke hitch horse, and show the world
long before we ever would consider going for a cart ride.

   *   these are of course just a few ideas for those with 2 yr olds. Not all
trainers of course agree with me. Big reason :
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, sorry just my not so humble opinion. Most
people that are eager to hitch, do not have all of the above in
hand......just have that cart and harness, so......impatient I guess. QH
Futurity at 2, TB's  race them at 2.....85 % never see a real track with
lameness and minds blown by then. Sad.

        PS, it is always thought to be a bad idea to work a horse with a cart
attached, with no one in the box seat. Many wrecks happen for that very
reason, and you would be asked to leave any driving show or event for
removing a bridle before the cart, or working a horse with cart, but no
driver attached. It has nothing to do with how casual your horse is about the
vehicle...it is not good control from the ground, and wouldnt recommend it to
beginers here.  Check the archives at the CDList for many thoughtful posts
about this safety issue. Good-Luck with your 2 yr old....please consider
taking it very easy with him, so at 5, hes not burned out already or has
soundness problems from early work on the lunge and hitched.  Lisa Pedersen